Study Abroad Scholarships For High School Students

November 22nd, 2021 by Al C

study abroad high school students in class

What’s a better way to make your kids grow up smart and independent than sending them out for studies in a foreign country? In recent years, there has been an increase in students who want to study abroad. For this reason, many government organizations and private companies have come up with scholarship programs that offer financial aid to students who want to study abroad.

It has been observed that the number of students who are applying for education abroad is increasing by 50% every year. There are many reasons behind this rise in the number of high school students who want to study in another country. The major and most prominent reason is globalization. With so many multinational companies and multi-national universities, the need for a good education has increased so people are now more interested in studying in foreign countries.

In this article, we will be discussing some of the study abroad scholarships that high school students can apply for. These scholarships will help you finance your education and living expenses, wherever you want to study in the world.

Why should you consider studying abroad as a high school student?

High school students are young and energetic. It should be your goal to utilize this energy in doing something productive and useful. If you can get a scholarship for studying abroad, then we suggest that you take the opportunity and learn about new cultures and traditions. Here are a few reasons why studying abroad can be beneficial to you as a high school student:

1. You’ll be more open-minded:

You will gain an understanding of the way people from other cultures live and think. As young students, you will be able to relate better to those who aren’t like you. It will broaden your mind and make you more accepting and open-minded.

2. You can gain a lot of experience at a young age:

Traveling provides an excellent opportunity for personal growth to high school students. It will help you learn more about yourself and allow you to discover who you are when separated from your friends, family, and school.

3. Better education opportunities:

Having experience in studying in another country looks good on college applications. Many prestigious colleges prefer students with international experience in their classes. This can work in your favor when applying for colleges later on.

4. Better career options:

Learning about other cultures can open new doors for your future career. For example, today there are so many companies that are opening their offices abroad, especially in countries like China and India. If you learn about these countries now, it will help you open new doors to your career in the future.

Best scholarships for high school students to study abroad:

searching for study abroad high school scholarships

So here are a few study abroad scholarships for high school students. These scholarships are offered through several different organizations and companies that try to encourage international exposure at a very young age. So here they are:

1. Rotary Youth Exchange Scholarship:

This scholarship is available for students who want to study abroad in another country. This scholarship covers tuition, room and board, textbooks, travel expenses, pocket money, and other necessary expenses that a student may have during the course of his/her study or training period.

2. The Gates Cambridge Scholarship:

This study abroad program is offered by the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation to high school students who want to study at the University of Cambridge in England, UK. This scholarship covers full tuition, travel expenses during your tenure as an awardee, as well as personal expenses such as health care and pocket money. This scholarship is only available for students who want to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject.

3. The Critical Languages Scholarship

This scholarship is offered by the US government to school students who are planning to study less commonly taught languages across the world in various countries, such as China, Russia, Japan, Brazil, and other countries. The scholarship was created to build a strong foundation in less commonly taught foreign languages, and the students it benefits will be able to do a lot of things with these skills.

4. Reach Cambridge University Scholarship

This scholarship is available for students who want to study at the University of Cambridge, UK. This scholarship gives out full tuition to students who come from low-income backgrounds and cannot afford their education otherwise. The Reach Programme was started by the University of Cambridge trust, with a goal to increase access to world-class teaching at the university. If you are between the age of 14-18 and want to study at the University of Cambridge, UK, then this scholarship may be for you.

5. American Foreign Service Association Scholarship

This scholarship is offered by the American Foreign Service Association to qualified students who want to major in international relations, foreign affairs, or a related field. This scholarship provides full tuition and also covers living expenses of up to $18,000 per year. You will also get a chance to meet the secretary of the USA in Washington DC! You’ll get to participate in National High School Essay Contest to showcase what you’ve learned about US foreign policy.

6. Sons of Norway Scholarship

The Sons of Norway Scholarship is available to students who are of Norwegian descent. Applicants must plan on pursuing higher education in an accredited college or university, full-time. The scholarship award generally ranges from $500-$2000 for one academic year of study. You can apply to any Norwegian Folk High School. Norway is the home of the Vikings and a visit to Norway is on the bucket list of most people.

7. Congress-Bundestag Scholarship

This scholarship is offered by the German government to students who are planning to study in Germany. The program offers full tuition, monthly allowances, travel expenses for visits home, and health insurance during your tenure as an awardee of this scholarship. Germany is known as one of the most popular destinations for international students. Their education system is very different from other education systems. So if you want to study abroad and get comfortable with a different culture, this is your chance.

8. The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange Program

It’s a student exchange program offered by the US State Department to American high school students. The scholarship offers full tuition, monthly allowance, all your travel expenses including your tickets to and from Germany. You will be studying in Germany for one academic year. The scholarship aims to promote mutual understanding between the US and Germany by fostering opportunities for young people of both countries.

9. Greenheart Travel Scholarship

This scholarship is available for students and graduates who are “first-time travelers” and have the desire for travel and cultural immersion. You must be at least 18 years old and currently enrolled full-time at an accredited university to apply for this scholarship. Applicants should also be enrolled in a program related to tourism, such as hospitality management, environmental studies, arts, social sciences, literature, conservation, or international affairs.

10. DC College Access Program Scholarship

The DC College Access Program is offered by the District of Columbia Government to high school students who want to pursue college education in the US. The scholarship awards $10,000 for four years of study at any accredited institution of your choice. This scholarship is available for students who don’t have access to other forms of financing and will be used towards your freshman year expenses.

A few tips for a scholarship to study abroad during high school

1. Talk to your parents:

This is vital! Don’t make the mistake of thinking your parents won’t be supportive. If they are against this idea, talk to them about what you can do to change their minds or at least take their concerns into consideration. The truth is that many scholarships don’t pay for housing and other expenses. It’s important to include your parents in all the plans to make it a successful experience for you and them.

2. Work on your grades:

Merit based scholarships are offered to talented students. So it’s important that you maintain your grades by having good attendance and being involved in school activities outside the classroom. It’s always easier to get a scholarship when you already have a good academic record.

3. Do research:

Know what countries fit your needs before applying for a scholarship. For example, if you want to study in France and will need to learn the language before going there, apply for a scholarship that will cover your French classes. There are plenty of scholarships out there; all you have to do is look!

4. Apply for multiple scholarships:

This is a common-sense tip but many students still don’t do it. If there is more than one scholarship you are eligible for, apply for all of them! You have nothing to lose and everything to gain from being as thorough as possible.

5. Talk to your home country’s department of education

It’s a good idea to talk to your home country’s representatives and ask them for advice on getting a scholarship. They will know which scholarships are available and may even be able to help you apply!

6. Keep track of deadlines

You don’t want to miss the deadline by just a few days and let $10,000 slip away from your hands. Check out important dates and plan ahead. It might be a good idea to set up a calendar on your phone or on the wall with all the dates that you need to remember on it. That way, there’s no room for error!

7. Talk to the scholarship provider

There is no better way to get money to study abroad than through the scholarship you’re applying for! If possible, send an email or call the people who are offering the scholarship and let them know your story. They may be touched by your situation and will give you an extra push to apply.

Final thoughts:

If you want to study abroad in high school, don’t let anything stop you. You can do it! The most important thing is to make sure your parents are on board and understand why this is a good idea for you. Don’t let a lack of money hold you back. There are scholarships out there that will pay for all the expenses related to studying abroad. Make sure to do your research and apply for as many scholarships as possible to increase your chances of succeeding. Follow these tips and you’ll be studying abroad in no time!

1. Karren Tendo says:

I have always thought that studying abroad was an impossible dream. Thank you for this article. Now, I have a new found dream.

2. Akongo L Abigail Omonda says:

I honestly don’t know what the outcome of leaving home will be but am certain nothing we want out of life comes from staying in a comfortable state .But am certain this will make me more independent and open minded, it will also come along with an advanced education and better career options

3. Lato Dorinda says:

Please I’m really in need of scholarship to further my education so can you help me find any

4. paulo says:

plesa send me letter invitetion togo t ucl/upc scholrchip

5. Zaheer Ali says:

I want to study abroad. How i can do it? With full scholarship

6. Hope Buyemba Kabajjungu says:

I am from uganda ????????, and would like my 2sons to get scholarships in high school please can you help

7. Nabasirye Bushirah says:

I am 16 and my dream is to study abroad I got 32 points in my 10th grade which is a first grade but due to covid my mom is financially weak so if there is any opportunity for me to get a financial aid to study abroad please help I am begging you also am a muslism

8. Cynthia Margaret says:

Hi my name is Cynthia from Uganda it has always been my dream to study abroad for free or half the price I have been looking for numerous scholarships online until I found this . I am 14 and the 2nd born in my family of 10 children my dad is not financially stable and neither my mom , I don’t think I will attend a good school for this reason. Please help me and guide me on where I can get a fully funded scholarship..

9. Oni oluwadarasimi says:

I would be so grateful If I have this opportunity to study abroad because it has been long since I have been looking for this opportunity

10. Yvonne Cherop says:

hi!I am a highschool student and I really want to study abroad pls send me links

11. Muhammed Adiza Abdul Wahab says:

Please I want to study abroad for free, please help me achieve my goals and aspirations

12. Sserunkuma Ian says:

I want to study abroad

13. Sserunkuma Ian says:

Am in high school Uganda but l dream studying abroad how can get in

14. Grace Emmanuel says:

I wish to study abroad but they are always asking for IELTS of which i don’t have pls help me

15. Nadibul says:

When i can apply for scholarship

16. Ansasire dorothy says:

Hi,am dorothy and am in grade 11.i have been looking for a scholarship abroad due to my father losing his job i would love if you helped me achieve my goal

17. Nalini c radam says:

I want to study abroad but always asking IELTS i dont have please help me

18. Bentil Julius says:

I want to study with you

19. Naj says:

hi! I really want to study abroad please help me

20. oyewale abdul hafeez says:

i need a scholarship that doesn’t pay tuition fee

21. Stellar Tombele says:

I really want to study abroad

22. Feven lema says:

I like the chance those give for students

23. Tumelo Mashiane says:

I have a dream to study abroad. I was about to lose hope but your website is so encouraging, now atleast I have faith and hope. In God I Trust!

24. Katamba jespa says:

I really want to study abroad it’s my dream

25. Katamba jespa says:

I really need that scolarship to study abroad but lack support but its really my dream to study abroad

26. Favour unigwe says:

i really look forward in having this high schools scholarship that doesn’t pay tution fees abroad please

27. Joana says:

I want to study abroad with a fully funded scolarship please help m3

• Al C says:

You can view scholarships that you might be eligible for by clicking on the following link:

You can browse the awards or use our quick search tool, which will narrow down the scholarships based on what you are studying, where you are studying, or where you are from.

28. Erick Njoroge says:

I would really like to stady abroad

29. Erick Njoroge says:

I would really like to study abroad

30. Mark Gus Sayford says:

I would really like to study abroad

31. Anita kup says:

I would really want to send my son to study abroad and I need your assistance.

• Al C says:

32. Marjorie Lomasang says:

Hi I’m from Philippines I would really like to study abroad so please help me

• Al C says:

33. Louie Jane Busa says:

I want to experience to study n abroad

34. Maria says:

I would like to find out more information about scholarship to study abroad..thank you.

35. Sixolile says:

Hi My name is Sixolile . I’m in high school doing grade 10. I’ve been looking for scholarships because my grandfather passed away last year and he did everything for me and my mom is not working and my dad lost his job 4 years ago . And it is my dream to go and study abroad and fulfill my dreams . Can you please help me achieve my goals

• Al C says:

36. Ayisha delil says:

Hi Iam grade 9 student and Iam from Ethiopia in the last time I learen proberly in my school but in this time my parents have no strength that might be eligible me And I learn in abroad shcool

• Al C says:

After you find a scholarship you are eligible for or interested in, you will need to contact the institution responsible for the scholarship directly. They can assist you with the application process and any questions you might have.

You can also find out more in this post: https://blog.iefa.org/2021/02/15/how-to-find-international-scholarship/

37. Ezra says:

I would love to get more information about studying abroad

38. ABDO says:

I want to study the next year abroad but the deadline to apply to all of the scholarships is over and that is why i am so sad???? please if anyone of you know a scholarship that i can to apply it now April-2022 tell me as soon as possible

39. Anisa H says:

Hi! my name is Anisa. I’m from indonesia i graduate this year from my junior high school. I’ve been looking for scholarship for high school, so please help me, thank you.

• Al C says:

40. Lola says:

I’m currently 13 and about to hit fourteen I’m very much interested in having a high school scholarship so I can reduce the stress I out on my mum. And I am currently in 8th grade about to finish ☺️

41. Sunday says:

I would love study abroad

42. rania says:

hi, im from the middle east 10th grade, i did and exchange year in the us and i would like to do 11th and 12th grade in europe, can i? please let me know asap

43. Christiana says:

I want to come

44. Ugochukwu says:

Good day
    Am in my 10th grade
    Looking forward to school abroad

45. Zemecha Biruk says:

I am a tenth grader and I live in Ethiopia I want to learn abroad for my future life

46. Zemecha Biruk says:

I want to learn 11 grade abroad in countries like Canada, USA, UK and Scandinavian countries