Do you need a cosigner for international student loans?

May 21st, 2012 by Jennifer Frankel

Many international students looking to financially support their education overseas turn to US loans as a way to help fund their education. If you are in this situation and are looking to apply for an international student loan, you may have some questions about eligibility and how you can qualify.

If you want a US international student loan, the first criteria the lender will look at is if you have a US cosigner- most international students will be required to have a cosigner. Your cosigner must be a US citizen or permanent resident, with good credit, who has lived in the US for the past two years. This person is typically a family member or a close friend.

Why do you need a cosigner, you might ask?

When you take out an international student loan, you are required to not only to pay back the amount that you borrowed – but you are also required to pay an additional amount to the lender for the ability to borrow. Because international students may return to their home country and since there is a possibility that students may be unable to repay the loan, who would the lender be able to turn to for repayment?

A cosigner is legally obligated to repay an international student loan. In fact, the loan will appear on the cosigner’s credit history as an outstanding obligation.  If the student fails to repay, the cosigner would have to step in and make the necessary repayments.

Overall, the cosigner is joining the loan application since an international student cannot receive such credit on his/her own. If you have questions about cosigners, feel free to ask our financial aid experts who are available to answer any questions on eligibility.

If you already have a US cosigner – you can begin comparing lenders and apply right online!

1. Tafadzwa says:

So if i dont have a co-signer i wont be able to get a loan,that hurts

Hi Tafadzwa,

Yes, you are correct. A co-signer is required for all international student loans, usually this is a friend or family member that you already know. If you are unable to obtain a loan, you might be interested in finding a scholarship to assist you with your studies. Good luck!

2. Ayeni bamidele david says:

hello’ i am bamidele ayeni i live in Nigeria i am from Lagos i want to study in Portland state. i love to work an study there, i want an loan so that i can get student visa i want to study in Concordia university i need you to help me my nob is 234 08035629159 please call me….

Hi Ayeni,

Thank you for your interest. I have sent you an email with more information on how to obtain an international student loan. If you have any questions please let me know.

3. mwampagatwa suzane says:

i need help for my further study,thank you

Hi Mwampagatwa,

Thanks for your comment. I have sent you an email with more information regarding your financial aid options. You can also use our comparison tool to find an international student loan here. If you have any questions just let me know! Best of luck.

4. Isack says:

help me how to applay

5. Emem says:

Hi, you are really doing a great job i must commend you for that. Anyway, i too need to advance my career with an international degree and as it is i don’t have a us co-signer. i would also appreciate your advise on how to solve this puzzle,its getting a bit frustrating.also are there banks willing to lend? they could hold onto my degree and release it after i have paid off. thanks alot

Hi Emem,

Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately there is no way around having a cosigner to obtain an international student loan and we are not able to find a cosigner for you. To find a cosigner I would recommend that you start by reaching out to friends and family members that you know who meet the cosigner requirements. Good luck.

6. Nelly says:

Hello, my name’s nelly, i’m from Congo and i’m majoring actually Nursing on Brasil but i would like to do a master next year but i don’t know how to obtain an international student or scholarship for US University. Can you help me please

7. Onuorah Bonaventure says:

I’m Onuorah Bonaventure from Abuja Nigeria,Please Bryanna,how can the international student scholarship grant me access to study in Bryan LGH community college Nebraska for health professions.please make it easy for me. Thanks in anticipation

Hi Onuorah,

Thank you for your comment. I have sent you an email with more information on loans and scholarships. Please let me know if you have any questions.

8. Aminata says:

Hello…. what do i do if i need a loan and the US school i intend to attend doesn’t appear on the comparision tool?

Hi Aminata,

Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately if a school is not on the eligible school list then we do not have a loan program for it. However, I have sent you an email with a few other options that you might have. Best of luck finding you what you need.

9. Jim Sulyman says:

Hello dear,
    please can you give me a correct address where to find scholarship to finish my study already started @ WU I am on LOA to find a sponsor/scholarship. Thanks

10. Emem says:

Hi, Its Emem again.thank you for responding. i do have a friend but he is in Germany and has full citizens rights there.can he cosign me ? is it doable?

11. dayo says:

please mam dayo from Nigeria please i need a co signer that can help me thanks

Hi Dayo,

Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately, we are unable to assist you with finding a co-signer. Usually this is a friend or family member that you already know. A co-signer is legally obligated for repayment of the loan, the same as the borrower. If the borrower fails to repay, the co-signer would have to repay.

12. yun says:

Can a co-signer help two international student with the loan at e same time?

Hi Yun,

Thank you for your inquiry.

A co-signer is legally obligated for repayment of the loan, the same as the borrower. The loan will appear on the co-signer’s credit history as an outstanding obligation. If the borrower fails to repay, the co-signer would have to repay. The only way to determine if your cosigner meets the requirements to co-sign for both students is to apply.

13. Zuhir says:

Hey,
    My name is Zuhir and I’m an international student, I’ve enrolled into a US. university and I’m thinking about taking a loan during my freshmen year. After reading this article i noticed that you require a co signer who lived in the US. for the past two years, I’ve already asked a close friend of mine to be my co signer, she has a perfect credit history and she lived in the US. few years, but the problem is she lived abroad for the last 3 years, of course she has a US. citizenship, would that make her illegible to be my co signer?

Hi Zuhir,

Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately your co-signer would need to have lived in the US for the past two years. If you are able to find a co-signer that meets this criteria, you can begin the application here.

14. Paula says:

Hello,

I am a Spanish engineering student and would like to finish my studies at Southeast Missouri State University. I need to qualify for a loan to finance my studies but I need a U.S. cosigner.
    I wonder if anyone would be willing to be my co-signer or can give me some help to find someone.
    Thanks

Hi Paula,

Thank you for your inquiry. I’m glad to hear you are studying at Southeast Missouri State University. Unfortuately, we are unable to assist you with finding a co-signer for your loan. Usually this is a friend or family member that you already know. I hope you are able to find someone to assist you with this. Best of luck!

15. Ifeanyi Chikwendu says:

I’m ifeanyi from Nigeria, and i really want to study abroad.(london) pls i need your help

Hi Ifeanyi,

Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately, our international student loan program is for international students coming to the US to study. We do not have a loan program for international students going to study in the UK. However, I have sent you an email with more information on how to obtain a loan to study inside the US.

16. Ahmadullah Tanha says:

I am an Afghan national student studying in India right now and I want to join US university for my MBA program. I do not have cosigner, can I get the loan.. and if I can get then what is the procedure?

Hi Ahmadullah,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately a co-signer is required for all international student loan programs. The co-signer must be a US citizen or US permanent resident, with good credit, who has lived in the US for the past two years. Non-US citizens or non-US permanent residents cannot act as a cosigner. Although we are not able to assist with finding a co-signer, it is common to ask close friends or family members. If you do not have a co-signer you might be interested in searching through scholarships to find the aid that you need.

Best of luck to you!

17. isaac says:

i am from nigeria and i applied to lakeland college in wisconsin but i dont have enough money and i dont have a cosigner, what do i do? my email is ayeniadebowale17@gmail.com

Hi Isaac,

That is great you have decided to study in Wisconsin. Although you would not be eligible for an international student loan since you don’t have a co-signer, you do have the option to find an international scholarship. Hopefully that will help to finance your education.

18. MERGA TESFAYE says:

i applied to California university but i don’t have enough money and i don’t have a co signer

19. loveth bala says:

i don’t have a cosigner how can i get one and i promise to pay back not only paying but will never ever forget that person thanks.

• Bryanna Davis says:

Hi Loveth,

Typically students ask a friend or family member that they already know in the US. They must be a citizen or resident of the US and have lived inside the US for the past two years.

20. Arjun says:

Is there any privite student loan that accept H1 olders as cosigners ?
    Thank you !

• Bryanna Davis says:

Hi Arjun,

Thanks for your message.

Unfortunately all of the loans in our loan program will require you to have a US citizen or resident as your co-signer. Good luck!

21. ruth says:

hi bryanna can you be my cosigner??Please??!…ruth.ozor@yahoo.com

• Bryanna Davis says:

Hi Ruth,

Unfortunately not. You will want to start by asking friends and family members as it is a great responsibility to be a co-signer. Good luck!

22. onuorah bonaventure chukwudi says:

Is there any way to get loan and study Chemical engineering at spain? I really need quality education.

• Bryanna Davis says:

Hi Onuorah,

Thanks for visiting. Unfortunately our loan program is only for US citizens going abroad or non-US citizens coming to the US to study at an approved school. If you’re a US citizen please feel free to check out lenders and if there is a program available to you.

23. isaac says:

Hi, this is isaac again, I finally found a co signer, how do I apply for the loan and what are the process… This is my email… Ayeniadebowale17@gmail.com