Funding your education doesn’t have to be impossible if you don’t have the money on hand. There are thousands of scholarships out there designed for international students – you just need to know how to look and what you need to include to make your scholarship application standout. This Friday, May 23 at 11 am EST, our partner InternationalStudent.com will be putting on a live hangout on How to Find a Scholarship.
Topics will include:
Scholarships are essentially financial awards that do not need to be paid back, and because of this, they can be competitive. Tune in this Friday to increase your odds of getting picked. Here’s how:
It’s that easy! At the end of the Hangout they will take any questions you have so make sure you have all of your questions ready. Hope to see you there!
When it comes to finding an international scholarship, you’ll notice that there are a lot of options out there. You can find scholarships on merit or need. You can find scholarships based on where you are from or where you are going. You can find scholarships based on hobbies, the arts, sports, academics – the list goes on and on.
International scholarships are competitive, because many students are looking for ways to get funding that they don’t have to pay back. To stand out from the pool of applicants, we recommend focusing your efforts on applying to scholarships that are looking for someone just like you.
So how do we do that? The first step is to take an introspective look at yourself and find out what you like, what your good at, and what makes you – well – you!
Here are 8 questions to ask yourself to find an international scholarship:
Once you find out what makes you a unique candidate, then it is time to begin the hunt for scholarships. Use our scholarship search tool to find awards that matches your unique talents, skills, and interests. This also makes it much easier to apply for these awards because you’ve already demonstrated your passion whether it’s through previous awards or experiences.
Want to know about other tip and tricks for submitting a scholarship application? Check out our other relevant blogs to help you on your way!
If you are an international student planning to come to the US, you may be interested in applying for international scholarships. While you’ll need to fill out the application and meet the requirements for your scholarship, if awarded you’ll receive a payment to support your education. Scholarships can be awarded for academic or other achievement – and there are many available so make the most of it!
We’ve put together a list of tips to help you when applying for international scholarships:
– Deadlines. When it comes to financial aid in general, timing is everything. Make sure that you know what is due, and more importantly when. Many scholarships have limited funding and are competitive with many applicants. Make sure to keep track of when you’ll need to submit the necessary documents to increase the chances of receiving a scholarships. If you use a calendar, make sure to note deadlines and set reminders to keep you on track.
– Essays. Many scholarships require applicants to write essays. You may find yourself writing, reading, and then re-reading your essay. Many students at the end of the process will end up reading what they thought they wrote – instead of what they actually wrote – and will miss small typos or key words. Have friends, teachers, and family members read over your essay and make any changes. Proofreading your essays can increase your odds of being awarded a scholarship.
– Don’t waste time. Many scholarships have eligibility requirements – before applying make sure you read all the fine print. There are many scholarships out there that you can apply for, but spending time applying to scholarships that you are not eligible for is a sure loss of time. We all know that international students are busy, between wrapping up school, working, and the many other day-to-day tasks. Spend your time wisely by reading the details carefully.
– Best foot forward. While content is #1, there is something to be said for presentation. Make sure that your documents are well organized and presented neatly. If you need to handwrite documents, be sure to spend the extra few minutes to make it clear and legible.
– Application. Not all fields on an application will apply to you. Don’t leave any ambiguity as to whether you forgot to fill it in. Make sure that you fill out every field, if it doesn’t apply to you just indicate “N/A” (or, not applicable).
– Create a timeline. Applying for international scholarships can require many steps, including essays, applications, references, transcripts, and much more! Don’t leave it to the last minute. Create a calendar that divides up the tasks to make sure there is enough time to get everything done.
– Make copies. Before submitting the information, make sure you keep copies on hand. It’s always a good idea to be able to refer back to it for other scholarships or to resubmit it in case it gets lost in transit. No need to do the same work twice if you’ve already done a good job the first time. Make it count, and make the most of your time!
– Last glance. Finally, before you submit your work to the organization make sure you go over all the requirements and dates. If you have additional time, have another trusted person take a look at it as well to make sure that you meet all of the requirements.
Good luck applying for international scholarships! Let us know if you have any additional scholarships tips that you’ve found.