Canada is known for its high-quality education and its welcoming attitude towards international students. Canada welcomes more international students than any other country in the world except the United States. Never the less, Canadian universities are known for their academic excellence and doctoral programs as well as Canada study scholarship.
However, to study in Canada, you might have to pay a hectic application fee along with a tuition fee. Also, the cost of living and other miscellaneous expenses in Canada are quite high. Although the cost is less than in the USA and UK, still, some students might not be able to afford it.
But the good news is, that there are many scholarships and financial aid available for international students who want to study in Canada. So, if you are also planning to pursue your higher education in Canada, then this article is for you. Here we have mentioned everything you need to know about Canadian scholarships.
How to apply for Canadian scholarships as an international student?
Thousands of students such as Indian students, Pakistani students, and African students want to study in Canada because of its excellent education system. Getting a postgraduate degree in Canada can open up hundreds of doors of opportunities for you.
Here’s what you want to do apply for a scholarship in Canada:
1. If you want to apply for a Canadian scholarship, then the first thing you need to do is research the scholarships that are available for international students. You can find this information on the websites of individual universities or dedicated scholarship portal websites.
2. Once you have shortlisted the scholarship program that you want to apply for, make sure that you meet all the eligibility criteria for that scholarship.
3. After that, you need to fill out the application form and submit it along with other required documents.
4. It is important to note that the application process for Canadian scholarships is usually long and competitive. So, make sure that you start your application process well in advance.
5. Lastly, you need to wait for the decision of the scholarship committee. If you are selected, then congrats! You have successfully secured a scholarship to study in Canada.
Different types of Canadian Scholarships
So now that we know how you can apply for a Canadian scholarship, let’s take a look at the different types of scholarships that are available for international students
1. Canadian government scholarships
As the name suggests, these scholarships are provided by the Canadian government. The main motive behind these scholarships is to promote international education and cultural exchange.
There are many different types of Canadian government scholarships that are available for international students. For example, the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) is a prestigious scholarship that is awarded to high-performing doctoral students.
2. Canadian university scholarships
These types of scholarships are also known as institutional scholarships and they are offered by individual Canadian universities. The eligibility criteria and application process for these scholarships vary from university to university.
For example, the University of Toronto offers a merit-based scholarship program for international students who want to pursue their undergraduate programs at the university.
3. Private sector scholarships
And lastly, we have private sector scholarships or non-governmental scholarships. Non-government scholarships are offered by various organizations, foundations, or corporations.
The eligibility criteria for these scholarships are also different from each other. For instance, the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program is a scholarship that is offered to students from Africa who want to study at select Canadian universities.
Top Canadian Scholarships for international students
Let’s take a look at some of the most prestigious and popular Canadian scholarships that are available for international students
1. British Columbia International Scholarship Program
The British Columbia International Scholarship Program is a scholarship that is offered to international students who want to pursue their undergraduate programs in the province of British Columbia. The University of British Columbia provides more than $30 million in annual awards, scholarships, and other forms of financial assistance for international undergraduate and graduate students who have outstanding academic records.
2. Ontario Trillium Scholarship
The Ontario Trillium Scholarship is offered to the top international students who want to pursue their Ph.D. in a select number of provincial institutions. This scholarship offers CAD 40,000 or $31,945 for 4 years. To be considered for the award, applicants must have earned a grade of at least 80% in each term for the previous two years. They should also show outstanding research potential.
3. Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarship
Similar to The Ontario Trillium Scholarship, the Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarship also offers CAD 40,000 or $31,945 for 4 years. The Pierre Elliot Trudeau Scholarship was created to honor the former Canadian prime minister by funding the Ph.D. studies of 16 students focused on the foundation’s four themes. It is one of the most prestigious scholarships in Canada.
4. Lester B. Pearson International Student Scholarships
The Lester B. Pearson scholarship is a great scholarship for international students who have excellent grades and demonstrate strong leadership skills. This scholarship will pay for your total tuition, except for books, room and board, and other school expenses. You have to have a bachelor’s degree with excellent grades and be nominated by your university to apply for this scholarship.
5. University of Calgary International Entrance Scholarship
The University of Calgary International Entrance Scholarship is given to students with superior academic standing. This scholarship is given to two deserving applicants every year. You will receive CAD 15,000 or $11,980 a year as well as a tuition waiver for this scholarship. To be eligible for this scholarship, the applicant must meet the university’s English language proficiency requirement. Academic excellence is also taken into account.
Top tips for getting approved for a Canadian scholarship
Here are some tips that might help increase your chances of getting approved for a Canadian scholarship
1. Focus on your academics: Maintain a high GPA as it is one of the primary criteria for most scholarships. Most Canadian scholarships also require students to have a high GPA in their previous academic years.
2. Start early: Many scholarships have deadlines that are months or even a year before the start of the academic year. It is important to start your scholarship search early so that you don’t miss any important deadlines.
3. Get your documents ready: Most scholarships require applicants to submit transcripts, letters of recommendation, and essays. It is important to have all these documents ready before you start applying for scholarships.
4. Focus on your communication skills: Many scholarships require applicants to participate in an interview. This is your chance to show the scholarship committee who you are and why you deserve the award. Be prepared to answer questions about your academics, extracurricular activities, and plans.
5. Apply for multiple scholarships: Don’t just apply for one scholarship. Apply for as many as you can. The more scholarships you apply for, the greater your chances of getting approved for at least one of them.
If you have plans to study abroad, Canada should be on your list. Along with some of the best universities in the world and a high-quality education system, Canada also has many studies abroad scholarships for international students. In this article, we have shared some of the most popular Canadian scholarships for international students. So if you are looking for a way to finance your studies in Canada, be sure to check out these scholarship options.