STAR Act Proposed to Help Foreign Students with Work Visas

June 4th, 2012 by Jennifer Frankel

United States Senator, John Cornyn, a Republican from Texas introduced the STAR Act which aims to help international students with graduate degrees live and work in the US post graduation. The bill is an attempt to give more H-1B visas to students who graduate with high level degrees in needed fields in the United States. Currently, there is a cap of 85,000 visas issued annually – far lower than the demand, and arguably need, that currently exists.

The Securing the Talent America Requires for the 21st Century Act, or STAR Act, aims to allocate 55,000 work visas for those students with a job offer who have obtained a master’s or doctorate degree in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics from a US institution.

According to the Senator, “The U.S. attracts the best and the brightest, but because of our cap on the number of visas, we usually send these people home. Then they turn around and compete with us by creating jobs in their native countries.”

Taking this merit-based approach, many companies and other government officials are praising the bill, saying that it is a way to retain and attract some of the best and brightest people from around the world to stay in the United States.

Read more about this in the Bellingham Herald.


  1. christian marcel says:

    i need help. i need financial help. help me help me help me.

  2. Ephrem says:

    I would like to study in USA, but I couldn’t get any admission from the universities which I applied. Would you help me please?

  3. Dildar Ali Khan says:

    Hello thanks for this kind support i need some information about good institutes in USA

    • Bryanna Lindblom says:

      Hi Ephrem and Dildar,

      Thank you for your inquiry. I have sent both of you an email with more information regarding finding a US school to study at. I hope it helps you with your hunt. Good luck!

  4. John Kanu says:

    I need a help. I have applied at Coleman university through the HTIR program and the only problem that is holding it up is finance for the first year.

    • Bryanna Lindblom says:

      Hi John,

      Finding financial aid can be difficult. I have sent you an email with more information on a few options you might have.

      I hope it will assist you with what you are looking for.

  5. Andrew says:

    Hi.I’m from Moldova. Currently I’m a student in language school in Wheeling, IL. Have a bachelor degree in electromechanics graduated in my country. Now i would like to find a company which can sponsor me for H1B visa. Hope you can help me, at least with some information,thank you

    • Bryanna Lindblom says:

      Hi Andrew,

      Unfortunately we are unable to assist you with obtaining your H1B Visa. However, you can find out more information on this topic as requested here.

  6. clive says:

    i need financial aid to enable me join a university in The U.S.A please help me

    • Bryanna Lindblom says:

      Hi Clive,

      Thank you for your inquiry. I have sent you an email that contains further information on a couple of financial aid options. I hope this will assist you on your search. Good luck.

  7. clive says:

    And if you r an african in Africa and you aspire to study in the USA how can i get the financial aid and study

  8. Phil says:

    Hello Bryanna, I have Bachelors degree in Telecommunication Engineering with about 3 years working experience. I would want scholarship to persue an MBA program in the US. Ca you link me up?

    • Bryanna Lindblom says:

      Hi Phil,

      We have numerous scholarships listed that students can apply for. If you would like to search for a scholarship specific to those studying telecommunication engineering, you can start here.

Join the conversation

IEFA logo
Thank you for visiting
Providing information about international financial aid & scholarships since 1998
2022 MPOWER Financing, Public Benefit Corporation
1101 Connecticut Ave NW Suite 900, Washington, DC 20036