Scholarships, Grants, Loans, oh my!

March 5th, 2012 by Jennifer Frankel

If you are planning to study overseas, you may find that going to school in a foreign country can be costly. While you will still have to cover your tuition, books, and living expenses, now you’ll need to factor in additional flight costs, exchange rates, health insurance, etc. While there is no doubt that studying overseas can help you become more competitive in the job market and advance your career, the immediate dent in your wallet could take a toll.

Whether you are an international, study abroad, or foreign enrolled student, you may – like many students – consider looking for external sources to help finance your education. But where should you look? Scholarships, grants, and loans are a great first step to get the funding you need:

Scholarships

Scholarships are a great way to fund your education since you do not need to worry about paying back the money you receive. Some schools provide scholarships to their students based on financial need, or based on your academic merit. Contact your school to determine the availability along with any requirements and deadlines that you may need to meet.

Additionally, there are scholarships that are provided by independent organizations based on a wide range of criteria. Ever heard about the travel video contest by International Student? They awarded $4,000 to the winner for their video describing why they want to study abroad. Because these scholarships are offered by independent organization, there are a wide range of opportunities as they are looking for students with special qualifications, such as academic, athletic or artistic talent.

Check out International Scholarships to begin the scholarship search.

Grants

Grants are typically granted to students based on financial need by a non profit organization, educational institution, government division, business or individual. The higher your financial need, the more likely you are to be awarded a grant – however this can be quite difficult for an international student.

Unlike scholarships that consider other factors such as field of study, qualifications, etc., grants require students to show that they need the grant based on academic need. However, like scholarships, once the money is dispersed, you do not need to worry about paying it back to the organization.

Check out International Education Financial Aid to see what grants are available.

Loans

Unlike scholarships and grants, international student loans are dispersed to those students who apply for the loan. Once the money is dispersed, you will be responsible for paying back the money you borrowed PLUS interest. Loans are typically easier to receive than scholarships and loans, but international students in the US will need to have a US cosigner in most cases who have spent at least 2 years in the United States.

Keep in mind that there are only certain lenders that will loan to international students. Eligibility will be determined not only lender, but also by school. Before beginning the application process, you may want to check to see if you are eligible. Our partner International Student Loan has also done this process for you where they compare lenders based on your eligibility.

Subscribe to our blog to get the latest information on financial aid.

1. Maniragire jean d'amour says:

I would like to ask for a scholaship because I need to continue my studies in foreign countries and I am able to submit all required asked things. I am rwandan and I Have finished my secondary studies with good results. For more informations my e-mail adress is available. Thanks.

2. samba traore says:

hello i need a loan of 25000usd to cover my study in us .i got a scholarship from OHIO CENTER FOR BROADCASTING SCHOOL i got 3000usd awarded i need your help please.

3. Monica Matthews says:

Students can also check with the financial aid office of their current college for options of studying abroad for a semester or two. Their current financial aid package may help cover the expenses.

4. martin emah says:

please i need either a scholarship or financial aid to help me start school abroad. please am desperate to get back to school. any info? please contact me through this e-mail: emahmfon@mail.com.

5. Sidney khaemba says:

Hi i am yet to be admitted to phoenix east aviation inc .but i don,t have enough funds to pay for my tution fees.can somebody tell me where i can get scholarships or any form of financial aid. My email alisdairushed@gmail.com

6. Ralph N. Dolopei says:

Hi,
    I am a Liberian and would like to request for a scholarship to study in foreign country because of my field of studies and low financial income. I also need a financial assistance from the financial aid office to empower me go through my studies. Hope to hear from you soon.
    Kind regards.

7. Raymon hawi says:

I am in need of any financial assistance to help me atleast have a chance to study abroad due to the fact that i have no hopes of making it to the university hence i would wish if there is an opportunity somewhere i would appreciate with all my heart.This is because i have no assistance since i have to work to fend my siblings so there is no good job to sustain both my education and our survival

8. bakary says:

hi
    iam a new admited i really need to find a schoolarship to pay my studies ,please guide me

• blindblom says:

Thank you for all of your interest!

Although we can’t grant you a scholarship, we can direct you to where you need to go:

Are you looking for more information on loans? Click here.

Would you like to search for a scholarship? Click here.

In need of a grant? Click here.

Good luck finding what you need.

9. ondoa jean bernard says:

i am cameroonian student , i need financial help to continu with my in usa.

10. KAJUNGU, Obadia says:

Hello,
    I am admitted at OH Northern University for academic year 2012/2013, LL.M in Democratic Governance and Rule of Law.
    I would kindly wish your cordial assistance to meet my costs of studies. And God shall pour onto you and your children abundant of blessings!

• blindblom says:

Obadia and Ondoa,

Thank you for your interest. I have sent you each an email with more information on international student loans.

Please feel free to reply with any questions you might have.

11. festus francis says:

i want financial assistant to study abroad after my first degree in computer science i want to get my master on imformation technology.Kindly mail thro the address as i will be glad if you can be great assistance.

12. I am Nkeng Emmanuel says:

I am a masters student in International Law and wish to obtain my phD abroad,please need help studying on loan.

13. kihoto says:

sir,with due respect and humble,i would like to study in usa,but due to my finincial problem i could not able to go,so pleas can i get a student loan or a scholorship from your side.please can you help me out, i will thankfull to you.

• blindblom says:

Hi Nkeng, Festus and Kihoto,

Thank you for your interest.

I have sent each of you an email with information on our international student loans. If you have any questions please let us know!

14. Adam says:

great guide, i’ve actually applied to that video scholarship, but lost =(

Planning on trying again next year.

If you guys have any other scholarships for international students or ideas please let me know.

15. Papos Verniel says:

This web site is mostly a stroll-by for all of the info you wished about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and also you’ll positively discover it.

16. lloyd says:

HEY folks iam currently living in Botswana i ve been admitted to ASA college in new york city this coming fall i need student loan or scholarship of 4000 usd.thank you email please

17. haruna umar says:

hi please i want to know how i can get funding to study piloting in pheonix east aviation school without having a cosignor to sign for a loan for me and i am from nigeria.thanks

Hi Haruna,

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, you will need a US co-signer for your international student loan. This is usually a friend or family member that you already know. You can find out more about your loan options here. Good luck.

18. FRENK JOSEPHATH says:

MAY I GET MORE NEWS

19. frenk josephath says:

how can I get sponsor for my education

20. nathan says:

i won a scholarship of 13600 pounds but for me to be able to benefit it i need a maintenance of 7500 pounds for me to be able to go to UK. Could and one help?

21. keerthana says:

Hi I have got 92% in 10th ICSE. I am interested a lot to study more but due to financial problems I am not able to study.so I request you to help me by helping me financially or by providing me scholarship.pls help me to study.I want to become an engineer.so pls help me to study more..

22. Gursharan kaur says:

hi.. I’m from India.. I have to do study in foreign. I’m good in studies.. but have financial problem.. please help me and tell me what to do. please anybody ..

23. Mumukunde Bernadette says:

Hi!am Bernadette,Rwandan I covered my A1 in midwifery but I have no mean to continue with bachelor’s. and in my country we have no bachelor’s for midwifery but only for educational midwifery. so please I need help for my studies. for more info please contact me on mumudete2020@yahoo.fr

24. Meseret Gudissa says:

hello i need your help to study my education .i want to study my degree in foreign but i have financial problem.please please i need help

25. Ebenezer Adu Gyamfi says:

how can I get the chance to further my education in abroad. am studies nursing and I wants to do degree

26. josef johannes says:

I would like to be awarded a bursary because I am in financial crises.crises. I’m admitted to the University in Namibia but I have no any option to pay my studies.