Australian Technical Colleges Attract International

September 7th, 2007 by admin

For some international students, the ultimate goal of an overseas education is to obtain residency and the right to work in their adopted country. An article in today’s Sydney Morning Herald, excerpted with explanation below, shows how international students have flocked to vocational training programs in Australia as an easier way to permanent residency.

In Australia, vocational training colleges are increasing their share of international students at a rate eight times faster than that of universities, after changes to the Australian Government’s skilled migration system made vocational courses a more affordable way to gain residency.

Australian TAFE (Technical and Further Education) institutes provide mainly vocational and technical courses. Hospitality, secretarial skills, visual arts, computer programming, hairdressing and cooking are some of the courses and training typically offered through TAFE institutes. By contrast, higher education in Australia is dominated by universities offering degree courses in more typically academic subjects.

Universities remain the biggest educator of international students, with just under half the market share, but enrolments grew by just over 5 per cent in the year to July, compared with growth of more than 43 per cent in the vocational sector, government figures show. “It’s clear that the main reason for that expansion is that it’s seen as a relatively cheap and accessible route to migration,” says Bob Birrell, a Monash University demographer who has mapped international students’ paths to residency.

In 2005 the Australian Federal Government made it more difficult to migrate without expertise in an area of skills shortage, leading to a flood of international students taking cooking and hairdressing courses. Both courses give students extra points towards permanent residency. Unpublished government figures show that in 2005 just 3560 international students took vocational courses in services, hospitality and transport, which includes cooking and hairdressing courses. By last year, the number had swollen to 6339. And by this year it was 9454.

Read the whole story in the Sydney Morning Herald online.

If you would like to receive a notice when the next International Financial Aid Blog post comes out, subscribe to our blog.

1. mary says:

i want to send my son to a tech school in australia any help appreciated thanks

2. Muhammad Siddiq Akbar says:

i want to get vocational education in australia.

3. Sana says:

Hey! Your blog popped up on bing and I ckeched out some more of your stuff. I just added you to my Google Reader feed. Keep it up. Look forward to reading more from you in the future.

4. Daniel Odoi-Boadu says:

I need a good Institution in new south wals to attend it very urgent

Hi Daniel,

Unfortunately we are unable to assist you with gaining admission into a school, however I have sent you an email with further information that might be helpful. Good luck!

5. RodgieneGarcia says:

Hi! I’ve been wanting to live and work to Australia, however, my working experience doesn’t allow me to get the skilled worker migrant visa. I think by being a student, is the best option. Do you have any suggestion as to how am I going to take my fist step.
    Thanks a lot!

Hi Rodgiene,

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately we are unable to assist you with your acceptance into a school in Australia. However, we have plenty of scholarship options to choose from that might help you with funding your studies. You can start looking here.

6. Kristy Willis says:

I’m interested in your article..that was my plan back 7 years ago..i want to study there in australia but unfortunately there is no opportunity that came to me..that’s why my goal right now is to send my future child to be there 🙂

7. ogundele kehinde says:

I need the list of vocational schools in Australia.

8. Adewale says:

please, am i going to apply to school of my choice before scholarship? or which one comes first? thanks

9. Adsehina says:

am interested in a vocational School, please avail the list of good schools

• Bryanna Davis says:

Hi Adsehina and Zhariner,

Thanks for visiting. Unfortunately we do not have a list of vocational schools in Australia. However, if you visit the Australia.gov.au site they have further information on vocational education and training. If you need a scholarship in the future for your training you will want to search here.

10. zhariner caliwliw says:

Hi! I want to study,work and at the same time live in Australia. What’s the first step?

11. Vai says:

i want to study so how can i apply??

12. Deborah says:

I want to join this June. Please let me know how to start

13. Norlaili says:

I am planning to sent my son who is now 16 to go for vocational schools after finishing his high school in malaysia. How or where can i get further information. Thank you.