Swedish Schools Still Free for International Students — For Now

October 30th, 2006 by admin

The number of international students in Sweden has been growing rapidly, primarily due to two factors. First, because Sweden is so committed to universal English in its population, there are lots of academic offerings in English. International students can find English language programs in all of the most popular disciplines — which include social sciences, business or law (34.8 % of international student in Sweden); engineering, manufacturing and construction (17.9%); humanities and arts (17.6%); sciences (12.4%); health and welfare (9.1%); and education (4.8%). The number of international students in Sweden has now surpassed 36,000.

Second, international students pay no tuition!! Just like Swedish students, international students admitted to Swedish undergraduate or masters programs can attend without paying any tuition. This is reflective of an overall commitment to higher education — Sweden ranked third in spending worldwide on tertiary education at 2.2% of GDP, behind only Denmark and Norway.

For more information on the increasing number of international students in Sweden, read the whole article from StudyinSweden.se here.

However, this great deal is being threatened. Sweden has proposed charging tuition to all international students except those from EU countries. This week, Swedish universities and unions went on the record to object to the government proposal . Academics are concerned that proposals to introduce tuition fees for international students at Sweden’s universities could discourage gifted foreign students from coming to study in Sweden.

To find out more, you can read the entire article from The Local here. Lets hope that Sweden maintains its commitment to international education, as any affordable international education program, no matter how few spots are available, provides hope and opportunity to students that couldn’t otherwise afford to go abroad.

To subscribe to our blog and receive an update when the next post comes out, click here.

1. Beex says:

Hi all.
    Can an Undergraduate with a 3rd-class result apply for a masters program – even if it means starting at a pre-post graduate level.
    Course specialization; engineering.
    Please reply
    thanks

2. Aaron Lawson says:

Hi I am Aaron Lawson, a Ghanaian curently in the US, on J1 Visa for an 18month practical training in the area of social services. I have a Diploma in Youth in Development Work and a Certificate in Education from University of Ghana- Legon. I am looking out for scholarship in Sweden or any eruopean country that can give me admission to pursue my degree in Social sciences. I have been trying for the couple of months but no information. If anybody have any links pls send it to me thru this email: niiaaron@yahoo.com
    Thanks

3. Anonymous says:

this nonsense of Eu students only benefiting from low fees or no fees at all in Europe and even no visas is not fair it puts us here in Africa at a disadvantage always . I am a concerned widow seeking scholarship for my daughter to study in Sweden but the bank statements you ask for for proof of funding are unreasonable for us in Africa especially a teacher in Zimbabbwe

4. stephen kingsley says:

dear friend,
    i want to study in sweedeen i need a guardian advice

thank you.

• jfrankel says:

If you are looking to study in Sweden, you would first want to research the school you want to attend, and then contact them to find out the admission time-line and requirements. Good luck studying abroad!

5. Masood says:

Dear Sir/Madam
    I want to do BBA free because i have no money to pay my fee, i request you please let me know to learn higher education to build my future bright.
    I hold My DBA from JVESKYLA unversity from Finland

please
    Email me to Below
    Moh.masood@yahoo.com

• blindblom says:

Hi Sotonwa,

Thank you for your message. If you would like to study in Sweden, you would first need to choose which school you would like to attend then contact them to complete the application process. Best of luck!

6. desto says:

Go straight to the school website and apply.

7. Olanrewaju says:

Hi, i have diploma in public administration from the polytechnic Ibadan Nigeria and i wish to pursue a degree from a reputable college in Sweden. kindly help

Hi Olanrewaju,

I’m glad to see that you are interested in furthering your education in Sweden. Unfortunately we are unable to assist you with finding a school to study at there. My best suggestion would be to contact the school you are interested in attending and they will be able to assist you further on the application process.

8. raj says:

dear sir
    I m from bangladesh. Recently i have 2 complite my automobile engineering program from ‘bangladesh sweden polytechnic ins.. Now please sugest me can i study in sweden ful free?? And what have to do??

9. Zaman says:

Hello There,
    I want to know the following info:
    01) Is there any primary school to admit for Grade-3 student in Sweden? If yes, Please give the contact details.
    02) My Daughter is studying here in Bangladesh in an English Medium School at Grade 3. I want to admit her in Sweden.
    Please let me know.
    Thanks
    Zaman
    008801678192626

• Bryanna Davis says:

Hi Zaman,

Thanks for visiting. Unfortunately we can’t assist you with finding a school in Sweden for your daughter. Perhaps you could start by contacting her current school to get started on suggestions. Good luck!

10. Sarah Nadine says:

Hi zaman,
    I just like to add that studying primary education in Sweden as an international students is not that easy. For that you have to be a permanent resident of Sweden. I don not think that there are any schools in Bangladesh have migration program of such kind. My suggestion would be you can try talking to some consultancy firm in Dhaka to get information about this.