“What’s your favorite page on International Student Loan? Share it with us!”
Simply answer the second question on Facebook, Twitter, or our blog, and you’ll be entered to win $100 gift card! Check out International Student Loan to see what peaks your interest. Is it the videos? Maybe the infographic? Or maybe it’s a resource page? Be sure to comment below on our blog, or share it on our Facebook or Twitter page to enter to win.
Submit your answer before 3pm EST on Wednesday, July 16th for your chance to win. Our second winner will be announced next Thursday, July 17th, so stay tuned!
If you are in need of cash now, win $100 on our Financial Aid Fun Contest, put on in partnership with InternationalStudentLoan.com and InternationalStudent.com. Be sure to check back next week where a new question will be announced on Friday, July 18th. Good luck on financing your education!
The winner for our second question has just been announced, congrats to Sunshine Darling who just won $100 gift card! Sunshine told us that her favorite page was Making a Repayment Plan- and Sticking to it on InternationalStudentLoan.com. Congratulations Sunshine!
Deadline: July 9th at 3pm EST
International Student Loan and International Student have combined forces during the month of July to bring you three great chances to win $100! Yesterday the Financial Aid Fun contest was announced and today question 1 of the Financial Aid Fun Contest released! All you need to do is find the correct answer to the question (you can find help here), then post the correct answer either to this blog or one of the following:
If you submit the correct answer you’ll be entered into the drawing to win $100! You only have until July 9th at 3pm EST to submit your answer, so make sure you post your answer as soon as possible!
The question you must correctly answer is:
What is a co-signer?
Time is limited so start searching now and post your answer before the deadline. If you aren’t the winner this week make sure you come back next week. There will be a new question posted, meaning a new chance to win $100!
If you missed the announcement of the winner for the first question- here he is:
“A cosigner is someone who guarantees that if the borrower cannot pay back the loan, they will be legally responsible to pay back the debt. In other words, the cosigner is taking on a huge responsibility for the international student loan or study abroad loan since they are being asked to accept the responsibility of paying back the total loan amount plus any interest.”
Congrats Islam! For those who did not win, don’t worry, just answer our next question for a chance to win!
It’s July, and many of you will be looking for financial aid to help cover your expenses for the new school year. We wanted to help out with the launch of our newest July contest, the Financial Aid Fun Contest!
Each week we will announce a new winner who will be the recipient of $100 gift card! InternationalStudentLoan.com in partnership with InternationalStudent.com will announce a question each week. Submit your answers through our Facebook, Twitter, or the blog and you could be the winner. Each week we’ll have a new question so be sure to follow us to increase your chances of winning.
Who is eligible?
You are eligible! As long as you are studying outside your home country, or planning to study outside your home country, you can enter.
How does it work?
On July 2nd, July 11th and July 18th, we will announce our new question on our blog, Facebook and Twitter Feed. Make sure to submit your answer by 3pm EST each Wednesday. Every Thursday, we will announce the winners – which might just be you!
How do I submit my answers?
You can submit your answers each week on Facebook, Twitter, or directly on our blog. Remember, all entries each week must be received by 3pm EST each Wednesday. We will announce the winners every Thursday through our social channels.
Can I enter more than once?
You can submit your answer once per question. We will have three lucky winners who will receive $100 each. Answer multiple questions to increase your likelihood of winning!
Tune in tomorrow for our first question where you might just be $100 dollars richer!
This scholarship is available to US citizens who are studying in Japan short term (one semester or academic year). Six individuals will be awarded this scholarship in the amount of $5,000 each to use toward the upcoming academic year expenses.
The Tanaka and Green Academic Scholarship can be used for tuition and academic fees, room and board, travel and transportation and other approved expenses.
Eligible applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Must be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate or graduate school in the United States
- Must give proof of acceptance at a college or university in Japan
- Must give proof that the program in Japan is an approved student exchange program of the applicant’s home college or university in the US
- Must intend to return to the college or university in the United States
- May be majors in any subject, but must demonstrate that they have taken or plan to take academic courses related to Japan, whether in the US or at the Japan college or university
- Must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States
The Tanaka and Green Academic Scholarship was established by the Japan-America Society of Washington DD (JASW). The scholarship is made possible in thanks to the society’s H. William and Lily Tanaka Scholarship Endowment and the Marshal and Lispenard Green Educational Endowment.
To learn more about the Tanaka and Green Academic Scholarship and if you are eligible to apply, please visit here.
From pouring money into scholarships to loosening regulations, Denmark is proposing a series of measures meant to attract more international students as well as retain them in the workforce for a number of years after their graduation.
International Scholarships for Denmark Announced
Working closely with the private sector, the Danish government has detailed a plan that will make the process of studying abroad in Denmark more streamlined, more affordable, and with more potential for landing a promising career in the country upon graduating.
- Scholarships—The Danish government has pooled resources with various private sector interests to set aside 25 million DKK (US $4.6 million) in order to generate 65-70 new scholarships, and only expect that amount to grow over the coming months as more businesses sign on.
Two $500USD scholarships will be awarded by Pacific Prime. To be eligible, you must be an international student studying in Asia for at least one semester. Eligible students must apply on or before July 31st through email. The email application must include an essay that answers the following question:
“How is Technology Affecting our Health Today?”
Your essay must be between 500 and 700 words. Along with the essay, you must also include a document stating your full name, contact information and a short introductory paragraph detailing how you would spend the money if you were to win.
A winning essay will be informative, yet also entertaining. Using real life examples and ample creativity will also assist you in winning a Pacific Prime Global Diversity Scholarship.
International students can be from any country, but must be studying in one of the following: Thailand, Taiwan, Singapore, Philippines, Malaysia, Macao, Korea, South, Japan, Indonesia, Hong Kong (SAR) or China.
If you would to learn more on this scholarship and how to apply please visit this link.
If you will be pursuing an MBA & MSc in Management, a BA in Management or the Foundation Course in Management with English at Global College Malta then you are eligible for this scholarship.
The gender equality scholarship is to help support gender equality in today’s leadership roles within business. This scholarship will be awarded based up on “the academic/professional merit, leadership potential and intention to become role model encouraging gender equality in managerial positions and leadership roles. Students’ prior active involvement in empowerment of women in business and related topics will be considered during the selection process.”
To apply for this scholarship you must submit the following:
- Along with your application an essay on how you will empower women within the business world
- One page motivation letter that includes prior activities related to gender equality
- Your curriculum Vitae with two references
- Your college admissions letter
- A 250 word bio and photo of yourself
This scholarship will grant one winner 50% tuition coverage at Global College Malta. Eligible students must apply by July 1st, learn more about this gender equality scholarship you can visit here.
If you’re a woman in the pursuit of a degree in the technology industry then you have a great shot at this award. This scholarship is hosted by Procurify.com and is granting one woman a $1000 scholarship.
To apply, you must be a female focusing on business, computer science, engineering or design. You must also have had a groundbreaking sustainable idea that will help revolutionize the technology sector. Submissions can be submitted in the form of a cover letter, essay, business plan, website, blog, podcast, video or any other way you feel is necessary to get your idea across.
The winner will be based upon quality and originality- so be creative and detail oriented! The winner must also provide a photo to be placed on the winner’s page of the Procurify.com site before accepting the award.
Eligible applicants must apply by the August 10th deadline- the winner will be announced shortly after on September 4th. You can find more on the Women in Technology award and how to apply here.
With off-campus employment opportunities for international students, many students will be applying for jobs in their new host countries. Many international students may need a reminder of both the importance of writing a cover letter to accompany a resume and application, as well as how to write an effective cover letter.
Why Write a Cover Letter at all?
Most hiring managers agree that including a cover letter is as important a part of an application resume. However, it isn’t important to write a cover letter because the hiring manager is going to carefully read it—in fact, many will admit to “just browsing” them or, in many cases, not reading them at all—but because hiring managers often DO remember those applicants who didn’t bother to take the time and include a cover letter.
In a situation where someone is looking for easy ways to reduce the amount of similarly qualified applicants to look through, the people who didn’t care enough to put forward the effort are an easy choice when faced with a number of applicants who took the time to craft an individualized cover letter.
Features of a Good Cover Letter
That being said, a cover letter should not be a resume or a condensed version thereof. A good cover letter requires a bit of research and should fit the following guidelines:
- Write directly to the hiring manager overseeing filling the desired position. No “To Whom it May Concern”—do your research and personalize your letter. After all, this is the person making the decision to hire you or not.
- Show that you are passionate about working with this particular company. But don’t do so in a way that comes off as flattery. Demonstrate you didn’t just send out 1,000 resumes to whatever company. You chose a company where you felt you could make a difference, whose vision and practices you stand behind, and that you would be proud to work for.
- If you have a name to drop, this is the place to do it. Whether it is someone you know in the company, a mutual acquaintance, or a mutual contact in the broader industry, the cover letter is the place to mention it.
- Avoid re-hashing your resume or writing a ‘form letter’ style cover letter. Only list accomplishments that are directly relevant to the position or the company’s projects, and make sure to make the letter individualized enough so that the hiring manager doesn’t feel as if they just wasted their time reading the same generic letter attached to your resume you sent to every company.
- Be brief. Certainly no more than a page, though, the consensus seems that even less than a page is the most ideal.
Take the time to set yourself apart from the mob of similarly qualified applicants and include a well-written cover letter—it will really go a long way!
The Win Free Tuition scholarship will grant one individual $10,000 to be used for tuition at the school of their choice. This sweepstakes is open to residents/citizens of Canada and the United States who are age 14 or older. This is a biannual sweepstakes, for this round all applications must be received by June 30th.
Eligible students can enter to win this free tuition scholarship in one of three ways:
- Submit the entry form online- to get to the link first visit the link below
- Complete and submit a Business Reply Card located in a
NextStepU Magazine. The card must be completed in full, post marked by June 30th and received by July 7th.
- On a 3×5 postcard you can print your name, complete address including city and zip code, age, phone number (with area code), and email address. Postcards can be mailed before June 30th to the following address:
Win Free Tuition Sweepstakes, NextStepU
2 W. Main St Suite 200
Victor, NY 14564
The Win Free Tuition sweepstakes is sponsored by NextStepU. All entries must be postmarked or submitted online no later than June 30th to be eligible.
If interested, you can learn more on this scholarship and if you’re eligible here.