Canada Funds 500 New PhD Scholarships

February 29th, 2008 by Keith Clausen

The new Canadian federal budget announced this week includes ambitious new funding for international education to help Canadian universities compete for top talent from Canada and around the world. From Macleans.Ca online:

“The program will award 500 PhD students with $50,000 each year for up to three years of study. The program will cost the government $25-million over two years. It will be open to both Canadian and international students.

The new initiative is a response to universities’ complaints that they are unable to attract the world’s brightest students to Canada. The program, named after Governor General George Vanier, aims to compete with high profile scholarship programs like the Rhodes program.”

Click here to read the rest of the story on Macleans.ca Online.

The Canadian Federation of Biological Societies also reported on a new study abroad program for Canadian students:

“The Government will also provide $3 million over two years for Canada Graduate Scholarship recipients ($6,000/year to 250 students) to help Canadian students study abroad for one semester.” For more information, visit the CFBS story.

If you want an update when the next post comes out, subscribe to our blog.

1. Asim Kaleem says:

Indeed its true, I never want to apply for such a scholarship which requires you to pay fees. Come on canadians change the things, not everything requires processing fee……

2. pizza driver says:

It is perfect news for international students. I came to Canada one year ago, because I had verbal agreement that I could continue my PhD study in the University of Waterloo. I spent my last dollar on ESL program for international student on the UW. When I asked where is this department where I should continue my study, nobody knows. It was deceitful!
    I was the best student in my generation in the University Of Belgrade, Serbia. My average of marks on graduate study is 98,3%. Now I am pizza delivery driver in Canada. If I could not see it, probably I would leave somewhere where I could improve myself.
    P.S. My country paid whole my education, health care, serving army. Canada doesn’t pay anything. Now Canada has professional for free, probably just couple thousands for final education level!

3. Anonymous says:

Great, but the Assessment Fee is still discouraging applicants from developing nations. Why this Fee??

Lema
    Ethiopia

4. Qaiser says:

Well… This ia a nice oppertunity fo the students to do Phd from Canada from the most respectable universities.

5. murad says:

so nice

6. Akinyeye Adebayo says:

It’s good seeing organised bodies and government that can alleviate the problems faced by students in trying to achieve their academic set goals in life.

7. Adelusi Temitope Isaac says:

I want phD Scholarship in Biochemistry in any university in Canada.

8. Bryanna Lindblom says:

Hi Adelusi,

Thank you for your comment. You can search for awards in Canada here by using our quick search feature and entering Canada as the location where you will be studying. I hope you find what you are looking for!

9. saimir says:

Im from Albania and can i apply for a PhD scholarship?

10. Bryanna Lindblom says:

Hi Saimir,

We offer multiple scholarships to individuals from all over the world. The best way to find an award that will meet your needs is to start at our quick search. Good luck!

11. Dereje says:

Plse Can I apply for PhD in any field of maths. If so, attach a format of application.

12. Bryanna Lindblom says:

Hi Dereje,

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately we are unable to assist you with obtaining an application into a school. For more information on how to apply, you will need to contact the school of your choice directly. However, if you would like more on scholarships you can visit here. You can find out more about loans here.

13. rebecca says:

WHERE TO GET PHD FUNDING IN CANADA

14. Asim says:

hi Bryana.
    I want to do Ph.d in Canada by scolarship. can you provide me links by which i can apply online for a scholarship….My email ID is asimjan55@gmail.com

15. Bryanna Davis says:

Hi Asim,

Our scholarship database here is a great place to start.

You can filter awards by where you are studying, what you are studying and where you are from. Once you find one you like, make sure you apply by the deadline!

16. Bryanna Davis says:

Hi Rebecca,

A great place to start your search for funding in Canada is our scholarship database.